Crispy and salty asparagus that makes for a decent side dish or quick appetizer.
I’m warning you in advance of making this, this asparagus recipe is like crack. I first had prosciutto wrapped asparagus when I was in college and my taste buds could not believe what was happening. Asparagus is delicious on it’s own but when you wrap salty meat around it and roast or barbeque it to a point where the meat is crispy and the flavour of the asparagus pops right out it’s pretty much heaven in your mouth. I couldn’t believe I had gone two decades without having this delectable vegetable dish. I figured if I was unaware of this winning combination you may be too so I naturally had to share this recipe.
I know for some the idea of eating deli meat may revolt you. A reliable friend once told me he read a study about the amount of deli meat that nutritionsts would recommend consuming and they recommended zero. Apparently deli meats are so full of preservatives that they are not fit for human consumption? I obviously wouldn’t recommend eating deli meats on the regular but whipping these up for a summer BBQ seems pretty alright to me. After all, I feel like everything under the sun is deemed to be unhealthy for you at some point or another, and it’s all about balance. You’ve got to live a little, right? Just make sure you pound back a bunch of water and get a good sweat on to help you flush some of this salt out of your system and you’re good to go.
- One bunch of asparagus
- 4-5 slices of prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees celsius
- Trim asparagus by snapping the ends off an allowing it to break at it's natural breaking point
- Wrap asparagus with prosciutto and place on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until asparagus is cooked through and the prosciutto is crispy
- This asparagus is also amazing on the barbecue. Simply wrap the asparagus in prosciutto and grill for 7-10 minutes
Do you have a favourite not so healthy vegetable side dish?